This program is designed to be an introduction to a leadership course, where games, initiatives, and challenges are used to develop the group’s leadership skills. Teens will still be working with their peers, building relationships with the camp staff, being role models for younger campers, and deciding if they want to take leadership to the next level at camp. Camp activities will also be included throughout the day.
The Teen/LIT at Creative Themes provides an exciting opportunity for 8th and 9th graders to take positive risks to grow, explore and have fun. In keeping with the Creative Themes philosophy, we strive to provide an atmosphere conducive to the creative expression of self, in which campers become aware of, and learn respect for their environment and their peers. This one-week leadership program is designed to assist youth in developing skills in team building, problem-solving, leadership, and self-confidence. Each leadership group is asked to commit to a “Full Value Contract,” to ensure the proper and effective execution of the program.
This contract includes:
- Adhering to certain safety and group behavior guidelines set down by the staff and the group.
- Give and receive honest feedback.
- Increase my awareness when I am putting down or devaluing others or myself.
- Challenge by Choice. (Goal-setting is critical to achieving program outcomes, at both the individual and group levels. It is also important to allow participants to have personal choices related to activities. The “challenge-by-choice” philosophy of adventure programming allows the participant to have autonomy related to the extent activities they participate in.)
- Teens will have an expectation of behavior and participation during the length of the program or risk being asked to not continue.